Individuals who have suffered a traumatic brain injury due to the actions or negligence of another person can turn to Feldman & Lee PS, a full-service law firm in Washington. Our injury attorneys have the resources and skills necessary to hold the at-fault individual liable and help you obtain the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Traumatic Brain Injury: An Overview
A traumatic brain injury occurs when an external force, such as a jolt or a bump, damages the brain. A concussion, which is a mild form of brain injury, happens when the brain forcefully hits the skull. Individuals who sustain a concussion often experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Dilated Pupils
- Slurred Speech
- Numbness or Weakness in the Legs or Arms
- Difficulty Waking up
- Persistent Nausea and Vomiting
- Continuous Headache
Apart from a concussion, victims can suffer from other types of traumatic brain injuries, including:
- Cerebral Edema: This life-threatening condition causes your brain to swell. The swelling causes pressure to accumulate within the brain and pushes the brain against the skull.
- Brain Hemorrhage: A hemorrhage means that the organ is unable to stop bleeding. This results in blood building up within the brain tissue or in the space around the brain.
- Anoxic Brain Injury: This condition occurs when the brain does not get sufficient oxygen. Brain damage usually transpires when the organ does not receive oxygen for two minutes.
- Hematoma: An individual with this condition suffers from clotting of the blood in the brain.
- Diffuse Axonal Injury: This form of traumatic brain injury happens when the long, connecting nerve fibers of the brain tears as the organ rotates or shifts.
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury
Nearly any accident can result in a traumatic brain injury, especially if a blunt force strikes your head. A few of the common causes of this type of injury are:
- Vehicle Accidents: A driver can sustain severe head trauma in an automobile crash, especially in multi-vehicle or high-speed collisions. While airbags are available to prevent these traumas from occurring, certain vehicle defects can make these devices either dangerous or ineffective.
- Falls and Slips: Falling from great heights, can cause brain injury. Individuals 65 years old and above are most at risk of sustaining injury from a fall.
- Accidents that Occur in Construction Sites: A typical brain injury that happens on worksites is blunt trauma from a sliding or falling object. The likelihood of severe injury increases when construction companies fail to adhere to the safety regulations or guidelines set by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA).
- Medical Malpractice: Brain injury may occur when a medical professional, such as a surgeon or a doctor, is negligent during surgery or any other medical procedure. This negligence, for instance, may cut off the oxygen supply leading to the brain and result in anoxic brain injury.
Types of Compensation Available for Traumatic Brain Injury Victims
Individuals who have sustained a traumatic brain injury may need lifelong help to function effectively and perform daily activities properly. If your brain injury was due to the negligence of another individual, you could seek and recover the following types of damages:
- Suffering and Pain: Brain injury symptoms, such as paralysis and headaches, can severely undermine a person’s quality and enjoyment of life.
- Medical Expenses: Surgical procedures, medications, and life-support services can rack up quickly and cost a million dollars (or more).
- Lost Wages: Victims can include lost work due to the injury, as well as total disability leading to the inability to get back to work, in the damages package.
How an Attorney Can Help with Brain Injury Cases
Teaming up with a lawyer is essential to winning a complex traumatic brain injury case. An experienced attorney at your side will take steps to determine the exact cause and extent of your injury and figure out how this condition severely affects your present and future life. A skilled lawyer can also calculate your long-term losses accurately. This way, you get the compensation you truly deserve from your insurance company.
Helping Brain Injury Victims in Washington
Our law firm provides legal assistance and representation to traumatic brain injury clients in Kent, Everett, Lynnwood, and the surrounding areas in Washington. Our attorneys make sure that you receive proper compensation for your injuries. Our team is more than ready to win the case in court.
Dial (425) 771-3600 or fill out our contact form to schedule a legal consultation.