Full-service law firm Feldman & Lee PS helps victims of truck accidents pursue a sound resolution to their legal case. Our attorneys look out for your best interests and make sure that you receive a fair amount of compensation from the at-fault party or the insurance company. When we take on your case, you can count on us to answer your legal inquiries and keep you in the loop every step of the way.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Just like any auto accident on the road, crashes or collisions involving large trucks can have several causes. These are just a few of the common ones:
- Fatigue: The work of a truck driver is highly stressful. Often, trucking firms will require drivers to transport goods to a particular destination within a short period. It means that truckers will have to drive long distances with little rest or few breaks. The lack of sleep, both in quantity and quality, may cause truck drivers to lose their coordination and focus while on the road. They could potentially fall asleep while driving and without them knowing it.
- Lack of Maintenance and Truck Driving Training: Before an individual can drive a commercial vehicle, he or she needs to follow specific regulations and pass training requirements. Sadly, some truck drivers cut corners and somehow find a way to get on the road. Untrained truckers pose a hazard to other road users on the highway. If these truck drivers are unable to maneuver their vehicles in poor weather conditions, they could collide with other motorists and cause a disastrous road accident.
- Speeding: Truck drivers have to meet the deadline imposed by their employers. Because of that pressure, these truckers sometimes drive faster to arrive on schedule. Driving too fast can be dangerous, as drivers will be unable to maneuver around roadway obstacles promptly or negotiate curves properly.
- Drugs and Alcohols: Some truckers turn to alcohol and medication to stay awake and alert at the wheel. A study published in Reuters, in fact, revealed that truckers admitted to using amphetamines, marijuana, and cocaine while on the job. Once the stimulants from the drugs wear off, however, truck drivers are likely to fall asleep on the road and inadvertently collide with other motorists.
- Distracted Driving: Transporting goods on long distances for several hours can get boring. This boredom, unfortunately, may compel drivers to perform activities to stay occupied, such as eating and texting. These activities can take a motorist’s eyes on the road and cause a road accident.
Injuries Caused by Truck Accidents
When an auto accident involves the collision of a large truck, the damage sustained by the body are often severe and life-changing. A few of the common injuries resulting from a truck accident are:
- Spinal Cord Injury: The collision could damage your spinal cord and lead to partial or total paralysis of the body.
- Burns: The fuel tank in the truck could rupture upon impact and cause a fire to engulf the surrounding vehicles. Road users and passersby could suffer severe and painful burns.
- Cuts: Sharp glass shards and metal become airborne during a crash. These objects can cut and permanently disfigure the skin.
Compensation You Can Receive Following a Truck Accident
When you’re severely injured in a truck accident, you can recover compensation from the at-fault party or the insurance firm. The damages you can recover from this accident case include:
- Medical Costs
- Loss of Consortium
- Property Damage
- Modifications Necessary for Vehicle Use and Home Living
- Out-of-Pocket Expenses
Why Hire a Truck Accident Attorney
After your accident, you need to get in touch with a truck accident lawyer. While you’re recovering, a qualified attorney can do the following for you:
- Collect and preserve evidence of your accident
- Investigate and build your case
- Contact and interview witnesses of the incident
- Determine the party responsible for the accident
- Negotiate with the insurance provider
Serving Accident Victims in Washington
When you need legal assistance in a truck accident case, don’t merely entrust your financial future and legal rights to just anyone. Hire the injury attorneys of Feldman & Lee PS to get the help you need. We provide legal representation to victims in Kent, Everett, Lynnwood, and other areas in Washington. With over a decade of experience in Washington personal injury cases, you can count on us to help you receive the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Fill out our contact form or call (425) 771-3600 to arrange a free legal consultation with our team.