At Feldman & Lee, we have spinal cord injury lawyers in Everett, Lynnwood and Kent, ready to provide legal assistance to victims of accidents who sustained spinal cord injuries. Our attorneys have represented individuals who were severely harmed by another’s recklessness or negligence. We’re ready to go toe-to-toe with insurance providers and defense lawyers whose mission is to minimize your spinal cord injury claim. You can count on us to utilize all possible resources, knowledge, and skills to provide you and your family with the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
When an external force damages the spinal cord, it may result in partial or complete loss of mobility and sensation.
Some of the most common causes of spinal injuries are:
- Auto Accidents: Data from the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center reveals that vehicular accidents are the primary cause of spinal injury in the United States. Colliding with a moving motor vehicle can subject the body of the victim to unnatural and extreme forces, which can injure both the spinal cord and the spinal column. Most vehicle collisions involve at least two parties. One party, however, is more likely at fault due to their recklessness or carelessness while on the road.
- Slips and Falls: Falling from a great height, can result in devastating damage to the spinal cord. Sometimes, another person may be held liable for a fall. An incident involving a defective ladder or a wet floor, for instance, may be a case of negligence.
- Recreational Activities and Sports: Common athletic and recreational activities could lead to spinal injury. These include engaging in high-impact contact sports like ice hockey and football, diving, and riding an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or motorbike.
The People Accountable for a Spinal Cord Injury
Many types of accidents can cause a spinal injury; similarly, many parties may carry potential legal liability for causing the incident. A few of the parties our spinal injury attorneys may find liable for such an injury include the following:
- Property Owners: These people may be accountable if they fail to take steps to keep their visitors safe from known hazards. Spinal cord injury victims, for instance, may hold swimming pool owners liable if they do not post appropriate signage regarding the risks of diving.
- Consumer Product Manufacturers: These individuals may be liable if their defective products cause people to sustain spinal cord injuries. It includes manufacturing fall prevention and safety products that are not working as intended.
- Vehicle Drivers: Their negligence, poor decision-making, or recklessness behind the wheel can cause an auto accident that results in a spinal injury.
Financial Costs Associated with a Spinal Cord Injury
Data from the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center reveals that spinal injury victims can expect to pay an average lifetime cost of a minimum of a million dollars just for the minor injuries that cause limited impairment. From the cases our spinal cord injury lawyers have represented, our team has found that victims who sustain paralyzing injuries can expect a higher lifelong price tag, with an average lifetime cost ranging between $2 to $4 million.
Certain factors contribute to these enormous costs, including:
- Medical treatments for the injury, as well as secondary health conditions that arise
- Mobility devices, including wheelchairs, canes, etc.
- Residential modifications, including the installation of stairlifts and/or ramps to help the injured effectively get around their home
Reach Out to Our Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers Today
Victims of these serious injuries often end up at a hospital in critical care, and this event can throw families into instant turmoil, putting enormous stress on both the victim and their loved ones. During this period, victims should get in touch with a competent spinal injury attorney as quickly as possible. This allows the lawyer to collect ample evidence regarding the accident and improve the likelihood of getting the victim the just compensation they deserve.
The Feldman & Lee team of spinal cord injury lawyers serve Kent, Everett, Lynnwood, and the surrounding Washington areas. When you trust us with your legal matters, we represent you and your loved ones with a better personal approach than other law firms. We will negotiate with insurance firms on your behalf to help you get the proper compensation, while holding the at-fault party responsible for your spinal injury.